Dan Boren: Outgoing Congressman Lets Loose

My exclusive with Congressman Dan Boren is by far the most fun interview I’ve ever conducted. Running rampant through the halls of Congress with an outgoing member? Pranking Dennis Kucinich? Awesome. The congressman, in a display of unrivaled glory, did five things he’s always wanted to do before leaving Congress.

I hope to do more “Before I Leave Congress” interviews. If you’re a Hill staffer (many of my readers are) with a retiring member, I challenge your boss to out-do the fun Dan Boren and I made in this video. What would your congressman like to do before returning to private life? Hit golf balls down the National Mall? Sing their state song on the underground congressional tram? Contact me if you’re interested.

As background information, I got my start in Washington interning for Representative Boren. Sadly for Congress, he has decided not to run for re-election, and is returning to Oklahoma at the conclusion of his term. I can attest that Dan Boren is an upstanding man who cares deeply about his constituents, who were lucky to have him as their representative. It speaks highly of him that members on both sides of the aisle are sorry to see him leave. But probably not too sorry– he also has a remarkably talented staff, who they will no doubt snatch up the moment the congressman’s office closes.

If this post made you laugh or think, kindly “like” MightyHeaton.com’s Facebook page:

• Richard Lemin
    August 8, 2012 - 11:28 am | Permalink

Mr. Heaton: submit this to “Better Know a District” on “The Colbert Report.”

August 8, 2012 - 11:38 am | Permalink

Oh, I plan to. I’m building up a reel I can submit around. The political comedy portfolio is definitely growing.

• Leslie Belcher
    August 8, 2012 - 2:11 pm | Permalink

Andrew, great work! This is a wonderfully happy, light-hearted piece about a great member of Congress. You both represent Oklahoma’s finest! Thanks for sharing your talents with us.

August 8, 2012 - 3:36 pm | Permalink

Thank you, Leslie, I’m glad you enjoyed it! Keep up the good work on your end!

• Rockin Clarke
    August 9, 2012 - 5:31 pm | Permalink

Love it Andrew! Just disappointed you didn’t take him for Bocce Ball on the mall! Keep it up.

August 12, 2012 - 11:08 pm | Permalink

Thanks, Clarke!

Maybe I can convince another congressman to do bocce ball. Fingers crossed I can make a series out of “Fun Things Outgoing Members” want to do.

• August 10, 2012 - 3:41 pm | Permalink

I still think an interruption with you shouting “BOOOOOOOOOOOOORENNNNNN” would have worked well.

• Sam
    August 22, 2012 - 10:40 am | Permalink

I hope we get to see some more of these! Love it.

September 1, 2012 - 10:15 pm | Permalink

Glad you enjoyed it! Hopefully I’ll get to make more!