Tulsa Trek Expo 2012

Recently I had the pleasure of attending Trek Expo 2012 in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Such events are like plopping 2050 into 1956. The contrast is amazing, and the people are lovely. It may not suprise you to learn that this is not my first Sci Fi convention. I’ve been going since childhood and yes, I’ve even taken a date before.

The above is video footage of me at my latest rendezvous with my own ethnic group: nerds. However it occurred to me as I sputtered away from Tulsa that our long, dark days of oppression are over. Nerds have won.

We did it strategically and we did it quietly, but nerds have taken over. Not just the flashy, rich ones like Bill Gates and Will Wheaton. No, I mean you’re probably a science fiction geek and you don’t even know it. Here’s a conversation I had at a party two months ago:

Me: “I’m a big fan of Battlestar Gallactica. It pains me to say it, but it’s even better than Star Trek. The plot arc is amazing.

Guy: “Oh. Well, I’m not really into science fiction.”

Me: “Hey, everybody’s got their own thing. Not a big deal. What’s your favorite TV show?”

Guy: “Lost.”

Me: “I’ve never seen that one. What’s it about?”

Guy: “Oh, it’s about time travel and some other stuff.”

Me: “. . . I see. Please excuse me.”

• Teresa
    July 24, 2012 - 1:52 pm | Permalink

IS that a remote control in your pocket?!

July 24, 2012 - 6:01 pm | Permalink

No. And be warned: it doesn’t have a “stun” setting, either.

• July 24, 2012 - 2:22 pm | Permalink

That one guy is full of bullshit. There’s no way Iran has a Death Star yet…they’re practically a third world country! Seriously, Heaton, learn to interview people who aren’t completely nutballs.

July 24, 2012 - 6:03 pm | Permalink

I just interviewed that “person,” I didn’t say I believed the sap. Did you SEE the guy’s cranium? Basic phrenology indicates that he’s 1. Deranged 2. Of sub-prime intelligence, 3. Lactose intolerant.

As an Pulitzer Prize award-winning space journalist it is only my job to ask questions, not concur with them.

• Christina Canamar Foss
    August 8, 2012 - 12:19 pm | Permalink

Jason Foss and I go to this convention as well :) We were hoping for a full TNG reunion this year – Oh well, maybe they will have a 20th DS9 reunion next year!

August 8, 2012 - 3:37 pm | Permalink

Has it been TWENTY YEARS? Surely not, that would make me feel old. I would attend, though– I particularly want to meet Rene Oberjonis (spelling?) who played Odo. And Jadzia Dax. Mmmm…..