Pardon my Pundit

This is my ten minute set from the recent Pardon my Pundit standup comedy competition in Arlington, Virginia. The event was hosted by the Arlington Cinema & Draft House, whose owner intends to form us into a troupe of political satirists comparable to the Capital Steps. (Only presumably with less frequent resort to jazz hands.) Clips of myself and the other finalists will appear on a half hour special on Comedy Central this summer.

Your browser does not support the audio element.

A quick clarification: when I perform political routines, I like to lead in by asking my audience to raise their hand if they enjoy smoking pot. Then I immediately whip out a disposal camera and take their picture. So that’s the inexplicable burst of laughter you will hear at the beginning. (To see the effect, you can watch a three-minute YouTube clip below.)

My political outlook is more or less Libertarian. Libertarians are like Republicans who don’t care about gay marriage or most recreational drug use, or conversely, like Democrats who took at least minimal courses in Economics. The upshot to this comedically is that I don’t agree with either party on everything and thus feel at liberty to poke fun at everyone.

My eventual goal is to replace P. J. O’Rourke when he dies. Until then, I’m a much, much cheaper alternative to him in the Washington area. So if your club or organization would like someone to break the ice before an event, contact me.

My rates are obscenely negotiable.

• November 18, 2011 - 8:49 pm | Permalink

Did I miss the video somewhere? Good luck!

• Melody
    November 19, 2011 - 3:55 pm | Permalink

Carol — I had to use Google Chrome in order to view the player, which is audio only. My Firefox and IE (blech) did not show it.

November 19, 2011 - 4:01 pm | Permalink

My apologies– the clip itself is audio only. The contents are from a little pocket recorder I keep in my blazer for when I’m doing standup or trying to entrap someone at a business meeting. Hopefully the Draft House will provide me with a video copy, and I can eventually upload that.

• November 28, 2011 - 11:10 am | Permalink

Hello there, I discovered your blog via Google while searching for a similar topic, your web site got here up, it seems to be great. I’ve bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.

• Kay
    December 2, 2011 - 12:16 am | Permalink

Andrew,

So glad you are doing standup comedy on a stage for all to hear and see. The Canada of Texas! Ha!

Love ya,

Kay B.

• Micah
    January 9, 2012 - 4:49 pm | Permalink

Amazing! Wish you were doing standup closer to the NY area.